What Is a Target Keyword?
A target keyword is a particular word or phrase that a website knows potential traffic/customers may use when utilising a search engine and seeking out the services that the particular website offers.
Why Are Target Keywords Important?
Target keywords are important for a few different reasons.They inform both Google crawlers and searchers about the information contained within your website and what you have to offer. Therefore they determine the kind of traffic you receive on your website.
If you utilise irrelevant target keywords within your website, you will be providing a poor UX (User Experience) to searchers because you will not be delivering the information they are seeking.
Poor UX often leads to a higher bounce rate, lower dwell time, and fewer conversions.
Google bots will suss this out too, meaning that your page will appear lower in SERPs. This is because Google is committed to providing high-quality content to users which fulfills searcher intent.
How To Find Target Keywords
Finding the right target keywords for your website is heavily dependent on high-quality keyword research.
- First you must find a few keywords or phrases that accurately describe your brand, company, or product
- Then assess how searchers are searching for these terms
- After this take a look at your competition. What keywords are they targeting?
- Consider page rank and competition by volume
How Can You Optimise Your Website For Target Keywords?
Target keywords should be integrated throughout your website including the back-end and front-end.
1. Back-End of the Website
To get the most out of your SEO strategy, target keywords should be embedded into the back-end code of your website.
This means including them in your meta data, which covers the title tag, meta description, anchor text and alt text.
2. Front-End of the Website
Carefully selected target keywords should be effectively distributed throughout your content, including within your headings and page titles.
They could also be highlighted or bolded in order to emphasise their importance, and they should also appear early on within the text.
What Should You Avoid?
When it comes to target keywords there a few things you need to mindful of.
- Don’t keyword stuff your content.This black hat technique creates unnatural and unreadable content, and will see your website penalised by Google’s algorithm. This can lead to a significant drop in SERP rankings
- Don’t always aim for high-volume keywords or phrases, try and target low-volume phrases too, they are often more effective for smaller or newer websites
- Don’t push yourself too hard and attempt to rank for keywords with extremely high difficulty
- Don’t distribute the same target keyword across your entire website, instead focus on developing one page’s authority. This way you can avoid keyword cannibalisation.
How Can We Help?
Keyword research still break you out in cold sweats? It’s a big task and we can help you with it.
Give us a call today and we’ll organise a free strategy session to give you an action plan to start working on.
Meanwhile, there are always our training courses where you can learn essential SEO practises that you can implement as soon as you need to.